MHS’s Science League Participates in January Competition

Alyssa Lee

On January 14, 2015, Marlboro High School’s Science League participated in a competition at Colts Neck High School. Participants from MHS, Freehold Boro High School, Freehold Township High School, Holmdel High School, and Colts Neck High School put their brains to the test in the attempt to beat their competitors.

Science League, which is advised by Ms. Marrucca, is one of the many clubs that MHS offers to students. Students who take interest in science courses, specifically Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and/or Environmental Science, are welcome to join. Joining the club gives members the chance to showcase their knowledge of the various science subjects, obtain more knowledge in these areas of study, and meet people with similar interests. Practice tests are given at meetings to prepare for run-offs, which are tests to determine which four people will be selected for each subject to compete in the upcoming competition. There are four competitions each school year in January, February, March, and April. After taking a test, the participants’ scores for each subject are tallied up, and the results are announced.

The competition at Colts Neck was the first competition of the 2015-2016 school year. After all the tests were scored, Marlboro ranked first for Environmental Science, second for Biology 2, second for Physics 1, third for Biology 1, and third for Chemistry 2, but did not rank in Chemistry 1. These scores are a great start to the new school year and Marlboro’s competitors will definitely do even better in the upcoming competitions. Things are looking up for February, March, and April, and surely Marlboro will not fail to impress.

For questions about Science League and how to join, visit Ms. Marrucca in room D201.