Hitching Post and Kaleidoscope

The student publications of Marlboro High School

Hitching Post and Kaleidoscope

Hitching Post and Kaleidoscope

Theatre Society Shines Again!

This past weekend, our very own MHS Theatre Society put on a production of Shrek The Musical, Jr.! after months of rehearsal and hard work. I had the opportunity to see the production’s opening night on November 17th, and am happy to report that I was blown away! The whole cast and crew did a phenomenal job bringing the play to life.

In Shrek, we follow as the title character has his home taken over by fairytale creatures. In an effort to send them back to their home of Duloc, he makes an agreement with Lord Farquaad to find him a princess to marry in exchange for his solitude. He gets to know Princess Fiona, who he at first hopes to send off but eventually falls in love with her. Shrek and Fiona are married, and live together as ogres in their swamp with the support and love of Donkey who aided in the journey.

Before the show even began, I was impressed by the set design. Headed by junior Margaret Surguy and senior Valerie Moss, I felt fully pulled into the fairytale land of Shrek and fellow creatures. The costuming and makeup was beautiful and fairly professional, as well as thought-out. When seeing some cast members up close, there were many intricate details in their costuming and makeup choices that I was impressed by. Juniors Shea Preston and Nicholas Lutz as Princess Fiona and Shrek, respectively, absolutely shined on stage and commanded the audience. Having been friends with many cast members for a long time, I am so proud of their work and talent that has been poured into this performance. Although you can not see the show any longer as the run has ended, be sure to come to the performances of Letters to Sala in January and Chicago in March. The Marlboro Theatre Society has been nominated for and won several Count Basie Awards in the last few years, and the program has become prestigious in our district. Congratulations to all those involved in this production for another job well done, and be sure to follow MHS TS in all their future endeavors!