Hitching Post and Kaleidoscope

The student publications of Marlboro High School

Hitching Post and Kaleidoscope

Hitching Post and Kaleidoscope

Matt Rempe Mania

On February 18, over 79,000 fans filled the seats of Metlife Stadium, ready to witness a battle between two arch rivals. 329 games later, and the Rangers/Islanders rivalry is still competitive as ever, with the two teams squaring up for this year’s Stadium Series. Both teams sported new jerseys, new helmets, but the Rangers presented something new that the Islanders could not match.

As they took the ice for warmups, 6 ‘7 rookie Matt Rempe took his solo rookie lap, a league tradition, in front of a sold out stadium, the first in NHL history to do so. And this was not the only time he’d make his presence known. At 1:28 into the first period, Rangers defenseman Erik Gustafsoon lit the lamp with a shot that deflected off of the Islander’s goaltender and into the net. On the next face off, Matt Rempe took his first shift. Not only that, but he had his first NHL fight. Veteran Matt Martin had challenged him in warm-ups, and Rempe, loving the physical aspect of the game, willingly accepted. With a total one second of ice time, Rempe had already collected five penalty minutes. The atmosphere was electric as he waved his hands to the crowd, building the already undeniable energy. 

Since his thrilling debut, Matt Rempe’s presence has been undeniable for this Rangers squad. That following Thursday, the Rangers faced their Hudson River rivals, the New Jersey Devils. Only two minutes and twenty five seconds into the game, Rempe landed a hard hit on Devil’s forward Nathan Bastian, who had to leave the game as a result. Seconds later, he was fighting with defenseman Jonas Siegenthaler. Although he was ejected from the game with a match penalty, his physicality turned the tide of the game, giving the Rangers the momentum. 

Two days later, Rempe squared off against ten year NHL veteran Nicolas Deslauriers of the Flyers. The arena was, once again, electric, watching as the two channeled some old-school hockey. Rempe had already completed the Tri-State Trifecta less than a week into his NHL career.

Madison Square Garden loves Matt Rempe, and it’s clear that Matt Rempe loves Madison Square Garden. If his face is on the jumbotron during warmups, cheers and applause are a guarantee. Rempe has brought an energy into the Rangers unlike no other. Each time he steps on the ice for a shift, the crowd immediately cheers. His hits are followed by chants of “Rempe! Rempe!” He has become a fan favorite in the first few weeks of his career. He has revived the role of the “enforcer” in New York, unafraid to square off with the league’s most widely regarded “heavy-weight title,” Ryan Reaves. Reaves, the former Ranger, is not known for his point production, but his indisputable physicality. In the days leading up to the original six matchup between the Rangers and Maple Leafs, fans were anticipating the two to go head to head. In the first period, Reaves was seen challenging Rempe, but he denied, skating back to the bench. Tensions grew over the next two periods of play, and in the final minutes of the game Reaves came back once more. This time, Rempe accepted, looking to the bench for the nod of approval before engaging with Reaves. Rempe held his own against the league’s toughest character, once again proving the edge he adds to this team. 

Now, a Rempe jersey stands proudly on a mannequin in the front window of New York City’s NHL Store. Had this been only a month earlier, it would have puzzled fans or seemed like a typo, being that he was just a prospect in the minor leagues. However, now sporting two black eyes, Rempe has captivated his New York audience.