Hitching Post and Kaleidoscope

The student publications of Marlboro High School

Hitching Post and Kaleidoscope

Hitching Post and Kaleidoscope

What Happened to the Warriors?

Despite an unfortunate second round exit to the Lakers in last year’s playoffs, the Warriors Front Office remained committed to maximizing their shrinking window of contention. In the offseason, rising star Jordan Poole was routed to the Wizards in exchange for former All-NBA point guard Chris Paul. While not remotely close to his prime, Paul has had a tremendous impact as the first-option of the Warriors’ bench unit this season. Curry (30/5/4 on incredible efficiency) has seemingly not regressed at all, and is likely still a top 2 guard in the league. Further, bench pieces Moody and Kuminga have improved; supplemented by Paul’s leadership, the Warriors boast one of the strongest benches in the league. Incredibly, in spite of the new addition in Chris Paul, progression in their younger bench players, and continued dominance by Curry, the Warriors are currently on a six game losing streak. Why?

The most glaring issue with the current roster is Klay Thompson. Once the best two-way guard in the league, Thompson has aged-out of both his elite defense and league-leading three-point shooting. He is currently averaging under 15 ppg on below-average efficiency and amazingly poor shot selection. Fundamentally not the player he once was, Klay has been deemed ‘washed’ by many fans. Still, in light of his contribution to the Warriors’ past four rings, Head Coach Steve Kerr will never bench him. Thompson will continue to waste offensive rebounds and cost games through his poor shot selection and attempts at Hero Ball. The Warriors must learn to respond accordingly.

Perhaps even more problematic than Thompson, Draymond Green is costing the Warriors immensely through his (lack of) composure on the court. Last season, Green punched then-teammate Jordan Poole, straining team chemistry and culminating in Poole’s trade this offseason. Just last week, Green received a five-game suspension for strangling Rudy Gobert in the midst of a scuffle between Thompson and the Timberwolves’ McDaniels. The Warriors have not won a game since his suspension. His defense/playmaking presence is sorely missed, and, unless he readjusts significantly, it will likely continue to be missed throughout the season. 

Much like last year, the West is incredibly strong. To even have a chance at a chip, the Warriors will have to trump star-studded lineups including the Nuggets, Wolves, Suns, and Lakers. As it stands currently, this will not happen. The Warriors have just one all-star caliber player remaining in Stephen Curry: neither Thompson nor Green are nearly consistent enough to be considered among this group. Ultimately, the Warriors are looking bad because its core is not what it used to be. If the past two seasons are indicative of anything, the Warriors dynasty is over.