Virtual Dissection in the Classroom

Andrew DiLiberto, Editor-in-Chief

Real life dissection has been used for many decades in education. Dissection is also a stepping stool for young students to guide them into a career including the medical field. Dissection in animals is very similar to dissection in humans.   Dissections can be used to help discover scientific mysteries, as well as allow the next generation to expand their scientific knowledge.  Dissection can also be particularly helpful in allowing students to conquer some of their fears, and help give them the confidence to pursue a career in the medical field.

In addition, virtual dissection has become increasingly popular in schools today.  However, virtual dissection at this point cannot provide students with the same skills of using the tools needed for dissection.  Also, using precise cuts and gentle behavior cannot be taught virtually.  Many modern figures have enforced their opinion on virtual dissection.  It provides a way to ease somebody who is more sensitive towards animals to enjoy and learn just as with a real animal dissection.  Virtual dissection is becoming more and more detailed, and the accuracy has improved greatly.  Anamontage tables are being placed into schools and programs as the virtual dissection system. They are tables where animals can be put on them virtually and be dissected. Virtual dissections also use the same tools as real life dissections including, but not limited to, a scalpel, pins, and probe, scissors and needle.

In conclusion, virtual dissection is an increasingly popular alternative to actual dissections in the classroom.  It provides the valuable experience of learning anatomy, without the use of real animals.  Schools will be using virtual dissection much more as time progresses, allowing more students to gain insight on what being in the medical field is like.