Ms. Shaw: A Teacher Making History

Megan Geller

The 2012-2013 school year introduced Miss Shaw as a long-term substitute for Mr. Nash and Ms. Curtin. The next year Ms. Shaw became a full time teacher here at Marlboro High School. Now Ms. Shaw teaches to Honors US History 1, a class for sophomores, Peer leadership, a class for seniors, and Financial Literacy, a class available to all grades at Marlboro High School.

Ms. Shaw attended Rowan University. In college Ms. Shaw was extremely involved through clubs and charities. Some clubs included Kappa Delta Pi, the education honors society, Phi Alpha Theta, the history honors society, and the Student Government Association. Some charities included American cancer society and Alex’s Lemonade Stand.

Ms. Shaw decided to go into teaching during her sophomore year of college, after originally majoring in Journalism and Political Science. Then during her sophomore year she realized it wasn’t news reporters on television who affected her life, but her teachers and professors throughout high school and college. Making a difference in people’s lives is what Ms. Shaw wanted to do.

Growing up Ms. Shaw had many role models, many of which still influence her today. Her inspiration came mostly from her family and her social studies teachers in high school and history professors in college. Ms. Shaw said, “The best advice was simply to keep moving forward; if you have hardships, make sure to keep working hard to maintain that level of success. You will always be your own biggest motivator to accomplish what you want in life.”

In Marlboro High School, besides teaching classes Ms. Shaw is the advisor for the MS for MS Club (Marlboro ‘Stangs for Multiple Sclerosis), which hosts fundraisers such as penny wars for BOTC and Krispy Kreme doughty sales. She also advises PAWS (Protecting Animals Without Stability) and KCC (Korean Culture Club). In addition, she teaches peer leadership which is an in school class, which also attends several outside events such as the annual Breast Cancer Walk in Point Pleasant and hosted their First annual Silent Auction and raised over $3,000 to donate to local charities. Finally, Ms. Shaw participates in the school’s BEST mentor program (Bringing Educators and Students Together).

With all this involvement and school spirit, Marlboro High School is lucky to have a teacher like Ms. Shaw.