Week of Respect and Beyond

Photo+Credits+to+John+Morello+

Photo Credits to John Morello

Anthony Cordi

October is a thrilling time for mostly all to enjoy: changing leaves, fall festivities, Halloween outings. However, with the onset of the fall season, comes a much more meaningful underlying message. The week of October 5th-9th marked the commemoration of Marlboro High School’s “Week of Respect,” in which the promotion of tolerance, understanding, and mutual courtesy were the talk of the halls.

Monday the 5th sparked the beginning of the week. Students throughout the school were encouraged to incorporate the color blue into their outfits to symbolize no bullying. Heeding the suggestion, Mustangs adorned all shades of the color, making the hallways a sea of blue.

During the morning announcements, an administrator or peer would make a statement over the loudspeaker to inform the student body of the main goal of the Week of Respect, in addition to what we, as a group of young people, can do to help others.

The zenith of the symbolic week was an assembly that has ensured a concrete spot in Marlboro history. During the first and second periods of the school day, sophomores and seniors alike strode down to the auditorium for what seemed like just another assembly on tolerance – what they were met with made them enthralled. John Morello, sole and main character of his show “I am More Than Dirt,” performed in front of hundreds of students the various battles that people face every day of their lives, all while having a sense of humor in addition to using his incomparable theatrical skills. After minutes of uncontrollable laughing to actual tears being brought to the eyes of students, the performance made its end. Met with an ovation of applause, Morello shared a snippet of his life story and how it related to respecting others and how it inspired certain aspects of his show. After the performance, crowds of intrigued students greeted the Mustang Celebrity, in addition to receiving a signed copy of his newly published book.

John Morello

The message of the Week of Respect is imperative, and should be focused on not only for a week, but throughout every moment of our lives. Respecting others is a key skill that must be exercised to ensure a safe, tolerant, and thriving learning, social, and professional environment.