David Buneta, Secretary General Model U.N.

Megan Geller, Editor in Chief

David Buneta is a member of Marlboro High School’s Model United Nations team. In early January, in the middle of a snowstorm, the MHS competition team traveled to Hershey, Pennsylvania to compete in the Northeast Regional competition. There were approximately 2,000 students traveling from all over the Northeast in a snowstorm. When the teams arrived, there was a little confusion and the place was not completely setup to meet the delegates. Many had travel delays, including the organizational staff. David took charged and helped the organization finish getting setup. The other delegations noticed his take-charge approach and leadership, and at the end of the conference, David was elected by his peers as the 48th Secretary General. The role of Secretary General comes with many responsibilities. The position is required to manage a staff or 40 committee chair-people, travel all over the northeast and to other regions in the Model U.N. territory, give speeches, and finally assist in organizing the 2019 conference.

Dr. Richard Malik, the MHS delegation advisor, is proud of David and his fellow team-mates. The MHS team is very young, starting in September 2015. The model U.N. club was started to give students a taste of international diplomacy and international issues. Many of the participants plan to go to college and major in a field with an international focus. Congratulations David!