Senior Spotlight: Dan McGrath

Megan Geller

Dan McGrath is a leader and very active senior at Marlboro High School. Dan was involved in MHS Varsity Soccer and played defense in our school’s 2016 very successful team.

Anytown-Lead for Diversity is a club that adds to Dan’s already hectic schedule. However, he feels very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to be a member of Anytown and feels that Anytown gave him great experiences that will be valuable for many years to come. In addition, Dan was very involved on this year’s senior BOTC team, which took up any free time he had left.

Rutgers Model Congress was a club that Dan was involved and one that took up a lot of time. RMC is an interactive group and one that teaches students a lot about politics and our country’s political system. The MHS Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) club does 3-D printing, building solar powered devices and working on other engineering projects, which members find very challenging and enjoyable.

Outside of MHS, Dan is very proud of his volunteer work for the Athlete Committee for the NJ Special Olympics. When not involved in school activities, Special Olympics is one of his passions and an organization that he really believes. Also, Dan has played for many years on a club soccer team, giving him much practice to be a very valuable member of our high school varsity team.

Dan’s favorite class, and one he feels he will not forget when he graduates, is We the People, taught by Mr. Uplinger. We the People is class that focuses on the American Political system, our Constitution, Bill of Rights, and challenges we face as our country grows and changes. Finally, a team of students will compete, representing MHS, at the New Jersey State We the People Congressional Hearing competition in late January and Dan hopes to be selected for this competition.

Dan has had four wonderful years at Marlboro High School. Dan reflected on his time at MHS by saying that he will miss, “The great staff of teachers and awesome friends I’ve made.” Marlboro High School will miss Dan and wish him much success in college.